Saturday, September 26, 2009

Period Drama Challenge:A Very Long Engagement


A few months ago I watch "A Very Long Engagement" for the Period Drama Challenge over at Lights, Camera...History. It was based on a book by the same name written by Sebastien Japrisot. I am using this movie for the All Over the World catagory(1 movie per country). The movie takes place in France.

A little tidbit...Jodie Foster is in the movie!!! It is a small part, but there she is and she is speaking French beautifully!!!


Five soldiers are convicted of self-mutilation in order to escape World War I. They are condemned to face near certain death in the no man's land between the French and German trench lines. It appears that all of them were killed in a battle, but Mathilde, the fiancée of Manech, one of the condemned solders, refuses to give up hope and begins to uncover clues as to what actually took place on the battlefield. Along the way, she discovers the brutally corrupt system used by the French government to deal with those who tried to escape the front. She also discovers the stories of the other men who were sentenced to the no man's land as a punishment. She, with the help of a private investigator, attempts to find out what happened to her fiancé.

I liked this movie. It does have some war violence and some certain situations. So this is not a movie you watch with the munchkins. It mostly received positive reviews. I wished it had a different ending. I didn't feel like a complete ending. You will see what I mean if you watch the movie.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...not my cup of tea.

Maria Grazia said...

I love war movies with great love stories. Have you seen Atonement (WWII), Regeneration (WW1), Charlotte Gray(WWII)? They are among my favourites, which are many. Have a nice weekend, Vickie!!!

septembermom said...

Thanks for the review, Vickie. I do find war/romance movies intriguing. I'll be interested to check it out. You have me wondering about the ending.

Vickie, thank you so much for your kind comment about my poem. I feel so honored that you would want to include it in your scrapbook. I am very touched by your appreciation of my poetry. Thank you!!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I remember hearing about Jodie Foster being in a movie and speaking flawless French but had forgotten which one it was. And you can't complain about the ending too much. It's FRENCH! That's what they do.

:)

Hope you have a great weekend!

- Margaret

p.s. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest.

Grizzly Bear said...

Hey Vickie,

Check out my blog I gave you an award!

have a great weekend!

G

Liz Mays said...

It sounds good but it has to be one of those nights when I know I'll really focus on the movie and not do other things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...